it is safer if two people groom a puppy together, one to hold the puppy still and one to do the shampooing and blow drying. If you don't have a partner I suggest investing in a grooming table with the arm and halter. They are reasonably priced and folds up when you are not using it.
1. Always make sure your product is warm not cold or hot when you apply it to you maltese
2. Use your vegetable sprayer in your sink to do your rinsing.
3. Put a non slip mat on the floor of the sink.
4. Wet puppy down with warm water, when you get to the face turn the pressure down and make the water barely warm. To warm causes pain to the eye and to cold will freak out your maltese.
5. Shampoo the coat with the brightening shampoo and rinse well, follow with the reconstructing shampoo or no-rinse shampoo and rinse well.
6. Apply a generous amount of your conditioner mixture to the entire coat.
7. If you do not have a grooming table then lay a towel on the counter and put your maltese on the towel with the conditioner still in the coat. Use your mat rake on the body and your wide tooth metal comb on the face, feet, tail and rear and comb through the entire coat ensuring that all mats are gone.
8. Return your maltese to the sink and lightly rinse. There should still be conditioner left in the coat.
9. Blot dry with a towel.
10. Use your wood rake and work through the coat again.
11. Now blow dry on medium heat using your wood rake. When the coat is halfway dry you should finish blow drying with your pin brush. Brush out small sections at a time.
12. Use your small metal comb wide teeth side when blowing the face.
14. Trim hair at the tear duct area of the eye. If you are having a problem with tear staining you may want to purchase a product called eye envy this product is not bleach. It kills bacteria that cause staining. Used daily the new hair growing in will be much nicer. Even the stained hair will improve. Once hair has grown out and the stains have been cut off and new white hair is present use your eye envy as needed. Daily cleaning the eye area with warm water and little bit of diluted Kelco shampoo will help keep eye area nice and clean. Use clean water and remove any shampoo residue with a wet cotton ball.
Good luck. Patience and routine are the keys to your success.
Video How to Grooming your Maltese at Home
Video I found on Youtube - very good advices how to grooming your Maltese at home, but actually this advices for all long haired dogs like Shih Tzu, Bichon Frise, Lhasa Apso, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. For Dematting personally I using "Demat Spray" By Kelco Made in USA - the best quality. Uploaded by Cloud9maltese
Copyright© Roxie Delux. All rights reserved.